If your referral program is set up so only existing customers are eligble to earn referral rewards, you will need to validate that the referrer / member is a customer of yours so the referral can process and reward your customers accordingly.
How are referrer / member accounts validated?
There are 4 ways to validate referrer / member accounts:
- Manual verification: a portal user must manually validate accounts.
- Data exchange via file exchange: we've set up an SFTP that exchanges files to validate accounts on a specific schedule (e.g. weekly).
- Data exchange via API: we've integrated to your customer system and can validate accounts in real time or on a specific schedule (e.g. nightly).
- Single sign on: your customers log in using your account credentials so anyone who accesses the referral program this way is automatically validated.
What are the different account statuses?
As you validate accounts, the account status should change. The different account statuses are as follows:
- Unknown: This is the initial default status, which means the system doesn’t know the current status of the account. This is the default status prior to validating an account.
- Valid: This status means the Referrer has an account with you.
- Invalid: This status means the Referrer does not have an account with you.
- Closed: This status means the Referrer had an account with you but the account has been closed and the Referrer is no longer a customer of yours.
How to manually validate accounts in the Portal
If you are validating accounts in the portal manually, here are the different options:
If the account status is Unknown: there are 2 options.
- If the customer exists in your system, click "Provide Account" and provide the Account Identifier (e.g. account number, phone number, email address, etc.), Account Creation Date, and other optional account information to update the account status from Unknown to Valid. The checkbox is defaulted in to ensure that the account is eligble to earn rewards as a referrer.
- If the customer does not exist in your system, click "Mark Account as Invalid" to update the account status from Unknown to Invalid. This will likely deny the referral.
If the account status is Valid but the customer has closed or cancelled their account with you
- Click "Close Account" to update the account status form Valid to Closed.
If the account status is Invalid but was marked as incorrectly or the customer is actually Valid
- Click "Provide Account" to provide the Account Identifier, Account Creation Date, and other optional account information to update the account status from Invalid to Valid.
If the account Status is Closed but has re-opened their account or marked as Closed incorrectly.
- Click "Provide Account" to provide the Account Identifier, Account Creation Date, and other optional account information to update the account status from Closed to Valid. This will make it so future referrals that are processed will denied.
How to validate accounts in Portal if your program has data exchange via file exchange or API
If you are validating accounts automatically through data exchange via file exchange or API, you can follow the same steps above except you only need to provide the Account Identifier and the data exchange will automatically provide the rest of the account data.