Before adding a link to your referral program, you'll need to set up your referral home page. Click here and follow step 1 to set up your referral home page in your Magento store.
To add a link to your referral program in your Magento store menu:
Step 1: Create a new subcategory
This will create the link in your product navigation menu.
- Log in to your Magento admin
- Click on Catalog and click on Manage Categories
- Click on Default Category and click on the Add Subcategory button
- Add a Name (e.g. Refer A Friend) for your subcategory (this will be the name that displays in the navigation menu)
- Update Is Active to Yes
- Enter "refer" in the URL Key
- Scroll to the bottom and ensure that Include in Navigation Menu is Yes
- Click Save Category at the top right
Step 2: Create a redirect for your subcategory
This will re-direct the link in your product navigation menu to your referral home page. Note, you'll need to do this for each language on your site.
- Click on Catalog and click on URL Rewrite Management
- Under Request Path, enter "refer" and press Enter to search for the link you want to redirect and click on Edit
- Copy the ID Path (e.g. category/5) and the Request Path (e.g. refer.html)
- Click on Delete to delete this record (don't worry, you'll be creating a new one)
- Click on Catalog and click on URL Rewrite Management and click on the Add URL Rewrite button on the top right
- Under Create URL Rewrite drop down menu, select Custom
- In the new custom URL rewrite, copy and paste the ID Path (e.g. category/5) and Request Path (e.g. refer.html) from step 3
- For the Target Path, enter "refer" (or whatever the URL is for your referral home landing page, like https://madisonisland.com/refer)
- Update the Redirect dropdown to "Permanent (301)"
- Click Save at the top right
- You may need to clear your cache in order for the menu link to show up correctly in your store